Even though many efforts have been made across Alabama to increase the safety on US 431, it remains one of the most dangerous and deadliest roads in the United States. In fact, it is often referred to and commonly known as the “Highway to Hell.”
The “Highway to Hell” stretches across parts of Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky. When people travel on this road, they immediately notice the several crosses, balloons, flowers, and other types of memorials, reminding them how devastating and deadly it can be. One of the cities that this highway passes through is Huntsville, the largest city in Alabama. The following are a few major intersections that you can find the “Highway to Hell” at in Huntsville:
- US 231 South (Memorial Parkway)/ SR 53 North (Governor’s Drive)
- I-565/ US 72 Alt.
- US 72 West (SR 2 West)/ University Drive
- US 72 East
The dangers of the “Highway to Hell”
There are many reasons why a highway may be dangerous, but the “Highway to Hell” in particular has many structural and design flaws that make it a very unsafe roadway, leading to serious car accidents. Here are some of the reasons why it is so dangerous:
- The highway contains several sudden curves and turns.
- It is very long (over 300 miles).
- The visibility is limited and poor.
- People tend to speed on this highway.
- The highway changes from two to four lanes several times.
- Merging is a big issue, with many people entering and exiting.
- The highway goes through several small towns and cities, causing issues with traffic.
On top of this all – or maybe because of it – US 431 doesn’t have nearly enough police coverage. Not only does this mean that people may be more inclined to drive recklessly, but it also means there could be a delay in critical care if someone gets hurt in an area without emergency services close by.
Most common causes of Alabama car accidents
According to the Alabama Department of Transportation, there were over 134,000 car accidents in Alabama in 2020. During these accidents, close to 2,500 people were injured. Here are some of the most common causes of these accidents on US 431 and throughout Alabama:
- Driving while intoxicated
- Changing lanes improperly
- Failing to yield right of way
- Running off the road
- Failing to stop at stop sign or light
- Swerving to avoid vehicles or objects
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
- Driving while tired or fatigued
- Misjudging stopping distances
Common car accident injuries
When drivers are involved in car accidents, they are at risk of suffering severe injuries. The reason for this is because the human body is not strong enough to sustain the weight, force, and impact of a vehicle during a crash. The following are a few common injuries that emerge from car accidents:
- Head and skull injuries
- Neck injuries and whiplash
- Spinal cord and back injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken and fractured bones
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Cuts and lacerations
- Road burns
How can an attorney help with a US 431 car accident?
If you have been in a crash on US 431, you should reach out to Martin & Helms to discuss your legal options at your earliest convenience. We can help you seek compensation for your damages, such as medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, property damage, emotional trauma, rehabilitation, home modifications, and more.
In addition, our attorneys will take the time to thoroughly investigate, determine what happened, and find out who caused your accident. Then, we will work tirelessly to collect evidence, build a strong case, and hold the responsible parties accountable for their actions.
Our team firmly believes in standing up for our clients’ rights, and we will be glad to stand up and fight for yours as well.
Tips for driving on US 431
In parts of Alabama, there is no other way to get to other areas without taking US 431. If you must do this, there are specific tips that you should follow to reduce your chances of being in an accident, such as:
- Always make sure your seat belt is on, buckled, and covering your chest and shoulder.
- Drive US 431 during daylight hours if possible.
- Make sure you are aware of the posted speed limits and never go above them.
- Stay focused on the road and keep your hands on the steering wheel.
- Make sure that you are aware of your surroundings and know when vehicles are near you.
- Give people enough room to stop, slow down, and take curves safely.
- Make sure you are completely sober.
- Create a plan for inclement weather.
- Give yourself enough time to get to your location. Never feel like you must rush while on this road.
- Try not to get distracted by other objects or people in the vehicle.
- Slow down when you need to merge, pass, turn, or take a curve.
- Make sure you are not tired before driving.
- Ask other people to ride with you. This gives you the opportunity to share driving with another person if going a far distance.
- Ensure that your vehicle is properly maintained and up to date.
If you have been hurt in a car accident, the best way to protect your rights is to hire a Huntsville personal injury lawyer from Martin & Helms. We not only know and understand the difficulties that arise from car accidents, but we also fight for our clients’ rights to fair and just compensation. If you are ready to start working toward the best outcome possible, call our office or submit our contact form to schedule a free consultation. Our team proudly helps the citizens of Huntsville, Decatur, Madison, and Athens, and we are ready to begin helping you as well.