Huntsville Burn Injury Lawyers, Alabama
Protecting the rights of clients suffering from burn injuries caused by negligence
A severe burn injury damages more than the skin and underlying tissues. Suffering from the shock and horrendous pain of a burn injury and facing the disfiguring scars can cause psychological and emotional injury that can last for years after other injuries from the incident have healed.
The experienced burn injury lawyers at Martin & Helms have more than 45 years of combined legal experience helping clients achieve a fair settlement or prepare a compelling case for trial. You are welcome to schedule a free consultation to discuss your injury case, and you will not pay attorney fees unless we recover compensation for you.
What causes burn injuries?
According to the American Burn Association, there are about 450,000 serious burn injuries that require medical attention in the United States each year. Some of the primary causes of burns include:
Classifications of burn injuries
The severity of burn injuries ranges between a red, painful skin irritation, to burns that go down to the bone. There have been three general categories for burn injuries:
- First-degree burns cause minor damage to the top layer of skin and do not usually require medical attention. They are painful, but not life-threatening.
- Second degree burns are classified as either superficial or deep. In some cases they may require surgical intervention, and some can leave scars. They often present with painful blisters and swelling.
- Third-degree burns burn through all layers of the skin, through the fat, muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Skin grafts are likely, and the scarring can be severe and disfiguring. Third degree burns can leave the skin looking white and leathery, and often cause permanent nerve damage.
Beyond the first, second, and third-degree classifications, burn injuries are now being classified using a more precise system which describes the thickness and depth of the wound. According to Wound Source, a “full” burn damages the hypodermis (subcutaneous tissue) leaving the skin charred and unfeeling, due to nerve damage.
Some of the complications that accompany burn injuries include:
- Increased risk of infections
- Compartment syndrome
- Tissue necrosis
Additional long-term complications from burn injuries includes:
- Scarring, disfigurement, and deformities
- Emotional and psychological injury
- Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS), which can occur with smoke inhalation injuries
Burn centers in Alabama
The United States has a network of burn centers throughout the country which offer specialized care for burn injuries. There are three regional burn centers in the state of Alabama:
Children's Hospital of Alabama Medical Center
1600 7th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233
UAB Burn Center
1619 South 19th Street
Birmingham, AL 35233
University of South Alabama Burn Center
2451 Fillingim Street
Mobile, AL 36617
How can a Huntsville burn injury attorney help me?
No matter the severity of your burn injuries and your level of pain, if you want to pursue justice from those responsible for your injuries, you will still be required to prove that someone else's negligence caused your injuries and other losses. An experienced Huntsville burn injury lawyer from Martin & Helms will prepare a solid case on your behalf. We investigate the incident, interview witnesses, gather your medical records, and any other evidence required to prove your case.
We also represent you with the insurance company for the defendant. They are certainly represented by an aggressive legal team whose singular objective is to ensure that you recover as little compensation as they can get away with giving you. Our mission is to make sure we recover the maximum compensation for you.
How much does it cost to hire a Huntsville Alabama burn injury lawyer?
A Huntsville burn injury attorney from Martin & Helms accepts injury cases on contingency. This means that we advance the costs of pursuing your case, and we only get paid once we have recovered compensation for you. We receive a percentage of the total settlement amount or the jury verdict. With a contingency fee arrangement, you get the benefit of having strong legal representation without being required to pay a sizeable retainer up front.
What damages are available for a burn injury claim?
If your case is successful, there are several different types of damages available in a burn injury case such as:
- Medical costs for past, current, and future medical expenses related to the burn injury
- Wage losses from time you missed at work recuperating from your injuries
- Disability or diminished earning capacity for permanent injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium (for the spouse of the injured person)
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Other losses
After you or someone you care about has sustained serious burn injuries, you may be looking to hire a lawyer who will pursue compensation for you. The Huntsville burn injury lawyers at Martin & Helms are here to help you win.
Work with a knowledgeable Huntsville Alabama burn injury attorney
After you or someone you care about has sustained serious burn injuries in a fire, explosion, or other reason, you may need legal counsel. Burn injuries leave both physical and emotional scars. The compassionate Huntsville burn injury attorneys at Martin & Helms are here to fight for justice for you. You are encouraged to call us at 256-539-1990 or complete our contact form to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case. We also serve injured clients in Decatur, Athens and Madison, and throughout the state.
401 Holmes Avenue NE
Huntsville, AL 35801
Areas of Focus