People are unaware of the dangers of driving under the influence of any substance, but that does not stop many from doing it anyway. This leads to thousands of tragic accidents a year as they endanger not only their own lives, but the lives of everyone else on the road as well. To lower the staggering number of accidents, the CDC has released important information about drugged driving, in the hopes that it will save lives.
The CDC reported a mind-blowing 12.6 million people admitted to driving under the influence of mind-altering substances other than alcohol in 2018 alone. What this tells us is that without a comprehensive plan to address and reduce drugged driving – especially in the face of so many states decriminalizing and legalizing marijuana – people are going to keep getting high and then getting behind the wheel.
A couple of the methods being employed by states include:
- A brief period of increased police presence, such as sobriety checkpoints and saturation patrols (along with media to raise awareness of it), known as Short-Term High-Visibility Enforcement
- Law enforcement officers certified as Drug Recognition Experts who are trained to identify drugged driving with a standardized evaluation that is both behavioral and physical
Of course, more strategies than the above need to be implemented, but they first need to be developed. The CDC is urging states to do their part in planning and brainstorming such ideas to make the roads safer for everyone.
When you are the victim of a drugged driving crash
The results of an accident caused by an influenced driver can be catastrophic. It may not be your fault, but you may end up the one who pays the most for their negligence. From broken bones to amputations to traumatic brain injuries, these accidents can have serious consequences.
If you find yourself injured due to a drunk or drugged driver, the best thing to do is act fast. The sooner your Huntsville drugged driving attorney can pursue your personal injury claim, the sooner you can be compensated and reimbursed for the damages done to you:
- Medical expenses related to your accident-caused injuries, both past and future
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma and distress
- Lost wages/diminished earning capacity (depending on your circumstances)
- Punitive damages
- Loss of consortium
Being in the wrong place at the wrong time should not cost you your life nor your life savings. The person who caused the accident with their negligence, regardless if they were influenced with drugs or alcohol, should be held responsible while you focus on what really matters. Choosing the right legal representation can mean the difference between no compensation and the full amount of damages you are owed.
At Martin & Helms, PC, our tenacious Huntsville car accident attorneys know the ins and outs of the law and will work hard to ensure you receive compensation if you are injured by a drugged driver. There are time limits when filing a personal injury claim like this, so you want to act fast. For more information on how we can help get your life back on track, call us today at 256-539-1990 or fill out our contact form. Our main offices are in Huntsville and Decatur, and we proudly and happily serve Madison, Athens, and all North Alabama. If you are not comfortable meeting in person due to the pandemic, we are also happy to offer virtual consultations.
- Commercial Use Exclusions in Auto Policies
- Will My Car Insurance Company Cover That?
- How Does Insurance Work in a Single-Vehicle Crash?
- The Dangers of Vehicle Rollovers
- Why Are Side-Impact Collisions So Dangerous?
- Does Car Safety Technology Really Make Us Safer Drivers?
- Study Shows Why Women Are at Greater Risk for Injury in Car Crashes
- Intersection Accidents: Why They’re So Deadly
- Subrogation in Car Accident Claims
Choosing the right personal injury attorney is an important step in building a better future. You deserve a lawyer who works one-on-one with you, and who can develop a plan for you to move forward. When you choose Martin & Helms, you get Clay Martin and Tara Helms: experienced, compassionate counselors who put your best interests first. We invite you to read more about us.